1. Basic Concept
The "Study in Japan" website is managed and operated by the Japan Student Services Organization (hereinafter referred to as "JASSO").
JASSO collects the information of users of the "Study in Japan" website (hereinafter referred to as the "Website") for the purpose of providing information services.
Any collected information will be handled appropriately within the scope of the purpose of use.
2. Personal Information Collected
In general, JASSO will not collect personal information, by which a user is identifiable, such as names or addresses, when you visit the Website. However, some services offered through the Website require you to register personal information to receive or use such services.
(1) Among JASSO's services, the following are examples of those for which JASSO may require users to provide personal data:
Registration for events such as fairs and seminars Inquiries
Other services provided by JASSO (whether online or offline)
(2) Examples of personal information JASSO will collect:
Affiliation (school name, etc.)
Nationality, place of residence
Other information necessary to provide specific services
3. Purposes of Use of Personal Information
JASSO will use the personal data it has collected with respect to users for the following purposes. JASSO will use your personal data only to the extent necessary to achieve these purposes.
- To accept user opinions and inquiries, and respond to such opinions and inquiries.
- To implement and operate services, events, etc., for which the user has registered.
- To conduct questionnaires concerning services, events etc. in which users participate, and to grasp the outcomes of such services, events, seminars, etc.
- To provide information on JASSO's services, events and seminars.
- To improve JASSO services to make them more user-friendly.
- To analyze and collect statistics on users using JASSO's services.
- To achieve other purposes of use which were clearly indicated at the time of acquiring the personal data of users.
4. Cookies and Google Analytics
In addition, for the purpose of improving the usability of this Website for users, this Website may record access logs, such as the client's IP address, date and time of access, link source, files accessed, and browsers used.
This access log is recorded using logs automatically stored on the server and a technology called "web beacons" from Google Analytics, a service provided by Google, Inc., and cookies.
In addition, the Website uses content sharing functions provided by social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook, as well as the video streaming function of YouTube.
For this purpose, cookies issued by these third parties, such as social media, are used to track information provided by users or derived from their usage history.
JASSO may also analyze your interests based on your behavioral history on this Website, such as the date and time of access and the files you accessed, for the purpose of providing you with useful information, etc.
5. Provision of Personal Information to Third Parties
JASSO will not disclose personal information you provide JASSO via the Website to any third party, except under the following circumstances:
- JASSO has your consent.
- JASSO is required by law to disclose such information.
- JASSO shares your personal information with an agent which will work on our behalf and disclose such information to the agent to the extent necessary to have the agent complete such work. In such cases, it is JASSO's policy to protect your personal information by concluding an agreement that obliges such agent to implement appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
- Personal data is processed and reduced to individually unidentifiable statistical data.
6. Data Protection Measures
JASSO will take necessary measures to prevent the leakage, loss or damage of information it handles and to appropriately manage such information.
7. Scope of Application
JASSO cannot control your personal information on websites that are not under JASSO's control including the websites of public/private organizations and institutions to which the Website links.
8. Correction, Suspension and Disclosure of Use of Personal Information
If you would like to discontinue using any or all of JASSO's services for which you registered your personal information or make changes to your registered information, you can do so at any time by following the applicable procedures.
If no procedure has been provided for a service, please make an inquiry as described in Section 11.
Requests for disclosure of personal information pursuant to laws and regulations will be handled in accordance with JASSO's personal information protection regulations.
Some social networking services (SNS) provide "buttons" that when included on other websites will cause personal information such as user IDs and information about sites visited to be automatically transmitted to the SNS even if the button is not clicked.
Please check the privacy policies, etc., of other social media services used on the Website on their respective websites.
11. Contact Information
Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)
Updated: October, 15, 2021