This site is a government-approved information site for studying in Japan operated by the Japan Student Services Organization in cooperation with the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. and More

Text Size
CONTACT PDF for print
Planning studies in Japan

Short-term Study Programs

"Short-term study program" refers to a program of any period from a few weeks to a full school year, which does not lead to a degree.

Some programs consist of classes conducted in Japanese only while others offer classes in English only or in both Japanese and English.

There are various types of programs, depending on the university, such as special classes exclusive to short-term international students, as well as those accepting international students enrolled in general departmental courses.

Short-term study programs are divided into the following 5 types according to the characteristics of each program.

Types Overview Credits Tuition paid to Inquiries
Student exchange program system for students to study at a university in Japan with which their home university has concluded a student exchange agreement In general, credits acquired at the university in Japan are accepted as credits at the student's home university within the scope of the exchange agreement. Normally, the student's home university (exemption from the Japanese university's tuition) Home university in student's own country
Programs other than student exchange programs Programs that allow students even from universities with which a student exchange agreement has not been concluded to participate.*1 Depending on the program Normally, the university in Japan The university in Japan
Research student *2 A system in which a person who has graduated from a university may study a specialized field at a graduate school as a research student for six months or one year. Not receivable The university in Japan The university in Japan
Audit student *2 A system for the purpose of auditing classes. Not receivable The university in Japan The university in Japan
Credit-earning student *2 A system for the purpose of receiving credit for classes. Receivable The university in Japan The university in Japan

*1 Search for universities with short-term study programs

*2 In order to obtain the "Student" status of residence as a research student, an audit student or credit-earning student, he/she is required by law to attend at least ten hours of classes a week. A research student who will engage in unpaid research without auditing classes requires the "Cultural Activities" status of residence.