Jobs & Careers in Japan


Internships allow students who have yet to graduate gain experience in positions related to their major or future career by working in companies. Some universities recognize internships as part of the educational curriculum and give academic credit for it. Please inquire directly with your school about the availability of internship programs at the school and the possibility of earning course credit.
If the internship comes with an income, you need to obtain "permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted." If you wish to do an internship that will require you to work more than 28 hours per week, please apply for "permission to engage in activities other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted." This requires you to submit materials that make clear the nature of the internship to a regional immigration services bureau.

Difference between part-time jobs and internships

Part-time job: Work in which you are paid money for your labor.

Internship: Work experience in which you are given a work opportunity that will be useful for your career plans, etc. Internships are often unpaid.

How to find an internship

University career center: Be sure to check the office's bulletin board regularly.

Job search websites: Many internships are available in all types of industries.

Dedicated internship agents: These agents are highly knowledgeable about companies seeking applicants for their internships, so mismatches between students and companies are much less likely.

Status of residence for students enrolled in a university outside of Japan who wish to do an internship in Japan

When a student from a foreign university comes to Japan for an internship based on a contract or agreement with a Japanese corporation or other such entity, as a part of the university's credit-earning curriculum, the status of residence will be one of the following, depending on whether or not there is remuneration, and depending on the length of stay: "Designated Activities," "Cultural Activities," or "Temporary Visitor."

The Ministry of Economics, Trade, and Industry (METI) Japan Internship Program
(only for current students and graduates of foreign universities)
METI conducts a project to promote internship programs at medium-sized Japanese companies, targeting young people from outside of Japan.
Inquiries: Technical Cooperation Division, Trade and Economic Cooperation Bureau, METI
TEL: (+81)3-3501-1937
Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare Employment Service Center for Foreigners
It provides employment information, job counseling and referrals, and accepts internship applications.

We use cookies to provide you with better services on our website. Please clink on "Agree" to agree and proceed. For more information and cookie settings, please click on “See Details”.