This site is a government-approved information site for studying in Japan operated by the Japan Student Services Organization in cooperation with the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. and More

Text Size
Planning studies in Japan

University transfer programs

There are many universities offering university transfer/inter-university transfer programs in different formats and requirements.

  • It is not necessarily allowed every year.
  • It is not necessarily applicable to all departments and faculties.
  • The terms completed and the credits earned at another university are not always transferable.

To transfer/inter-university transfer to a university (an undergraduate course), usually one of the following requirements must be met.

  • Graduates of junior colleges
  • Graduates of colleges of technology
  • Students having a diploma from a professional training college
  • Graduates of an advanced course of upper secondary schools
  • Students who have completed a university's general education (year 1 and above) and fulfill the necessary credits required by the transfer institution.
  • Graduates of an undergraduate program.

Compared to regular admission, information on university transfer/inter-university transfer programs is very limited. Get early information from your school of choice on the options.