Planning to Study in Japan

Types of Schools

Short-term Study Programs

Short-term study programs refer to programs of any period from a few weeks to a full academic year, which do not lead to a degree.

Classes may be conducted in Japanese, English, or both languages.

There are various types of programs, depending on the university, such as special classes exclusive to short-term international students, as well as those accepting international students enrolled in general departmental courses. Short-term study programs are divided into the following 5 types according to the characteristics of each program.

Overview Credits Tuition payments Inquiries
Student exchange program For students to study at a university in Japan with which their home university has concluded a student exchange agreement. In general, credits acquired at the university in Japan are accepted as credits at the student's home university within the scope of the exchange agreement. Normally, the student's home university (exempt from the Japanese university's tuition) Home university in student's own country
Programs other than student exchange programs Allow students even from universities with which a student exchange agreement has not been concluded to participate.*1 Depending on the program, credit may or may not be granted. Normally, the university in Japan The university in Japan
Research student *2 Those who have graduated from a university may study a specialized field at a graduate school as a research student for six months or one year. Not receivable The university in Japan The university in Japan
Audit student *2 For the purpose of auditing classes. Not receivable The university in Japan The university in Japan
Credit-earning student *2 For the purpose of receiving credit for classes. Receivable The university in Japan The university in Japan

*1 Search for universities with short-term study programs

*2 In order to obtain the "Student" status of residence as a research student, an audit student or credit-earning student, he/she is required by law to attend at least ten hours of classes a week. A research student who will engage in unpaid research without auditing classes requires the "Cultural Activities" status of residence.

We use cookies to provide you with better services on our website. Please clink on "Agree" to agree and proceed. For more information and cookie settings, please click on “See Details”.