1. Basic Concept
Japan Student Services Organization (hereinafter referred to as "JASSO") will collect and carefully handle personal data of all users of the official website of "Study in Japan" Website (hereinafter referred to as the "Study in Japan" Website) as pertains to General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (GDPR) of the European Union. JASSO will strive for appropriate management and operation of the data to the extent necessary for seamless operation of the services provided on this Website.
2. Personal Information Collected
When using the services provided by JASSO, you may be required to provide your personal data. Personal data provided will be used within the scope necessary to achieve the purpose of use, and will not be used for any purpose other than the purpose of use without the consent of the user.
- Among JASSO's services, the following are examples of those for which JASSO may require users to provide personal data:
- Registration for events such as fairs and seminars
- Other services provided by JASSO, whether online or offline.
- Examples of personal data you will provide:
- Nationality, place of residence
- E-mail address
- Other information necessary for providing specific services
3. Purposes of Use of Personal Information
JASSO will use the personal data it has collected with respect to users for the following purposes. JASSO will use your personal data only to the extent necessary to achieve these purposes.
- Accepting user opinions and inquiries, and responding to such opinions and inquiries.
- Implementation and operation of services, events etc., for which the user has registered.
- To conduct questionnaires concerning services, events etc. in which users participate, and to grasp the outcomes of such services, events, seminars, etc.
- To provide information on JASSO's services, events and seminars that users are interested in.
- To improve JASSO services to make them more user-friendly.
- To analyze and collect statistics on users using JASSO's services.
- To achieve other purposes of use which were clearly indicated at the time of acquiring the personal data of users.
4. Cookies and Google Analytics
In addition, we use content sharing functions provided by social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook and the video streaming function of YouTube on this Website. Cookies issued by third parties such as these social media platforms are used to track information that is provided by users or is obtained from users' use history.
5. Lawfulness of Processing
JASSO will only process your personal data within the scope permitted by law. JASSO will process your personal data based on the following grounds:
- Consent: This is when JASSO receives consent from the user for processing personal data. By indicating agreement with this policy, the user is giving consent to the use of personal information by JASSO as indicated by this Policy.
- Performance of contractual obligations: This is when JASSO needs to process your personal data in order to perform a contract entered into with you.
- Legal obligations: This is when JASSO needs to comply with legal obligations.
- Legitimate interests: This is when processing of the user's personal data is necessary for the legitimate interests pursued by JASSO or by a third party, provided that the user's interests and fundamental rights are not overridden by the above interests.
6. Provision of Information Handled
JASSO may share your personal data with the following types of recipients.
- Service providers: Service providers include companies in the IT industry, such as internet service, cloud service, information security and data analytics, etc.
- Subcontractors: This is when the processing of personal data is necessary for the execution of operations relating to JASSO's outsourcing of operations to a third party.
- Co-organizers and supporters of events etc. for which users have participated: These include Embassies and Consulate-Generals of Japan, government-affiliated organizations and other organizations.
7. Transfer of Personal Information Outside Europe
The personal data JASSO has with respect to users may be transferred to third parties outside the EEA or U.K. and may be retained by such third parties. If JASSO transfers your personal data to a third party outside the EEA or U.K., we will ensure the following: The region to which the transfer is to be made has been certified by the European Commission or U.K. government as ensuring an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of the users' personal data.
International transfer of personal information to Japan will be based on the European Commission's decision regarding the adequacy of personal information protections acquired by Japan. For information regarding the adequacy of personal information protections provided by Japan, please refer to the European Commission's website.
8. Data Retention Period
JASSO will retain personal data collected with respect to you during the period we provide you with our services. Personal data related to users that is no longer needed after the service provision period will be deleted. The retention period of personal data collected by JASSO will vary for each category of personal data, and personal data will be retained only for the period necessary for purposes of use according to each type of data. However, this shall not apply to personal data that is required by law to be retained for a longer period, and such personal data will be retained for the period of time required by law.
9．Data Protection Measures
JASSO will take necessary measures to prevent the leakage, loss or damage of information it handles and to appropriately manage such information. In addition, JASSO may outsource operation of this site. In such case, the outsourcer must also comply with GDPR and related laws, protect data against breaches, losses and other harm, and take all appropriate measures to provide for proper management of data.
10. Scope of Application
11. Rights of the Data Subject
You have the following rights relating to the personal data JASSO retains with respect to you.
- The right to acquire information related to the processing of the user's personal data and the right to access the personal data held by JASSO with respect to the user.
- The right to request the correction of any inaccurate or incomplete personal data of the user.
- The right to request that JASSO erase your personal data under certain circumstances, including, but not limited to, the following circumstances:
when JASSO is no longer required to retain your personal data in the light of the purpose for which it collected the personal data;
when JASSO may process personal data only with the consent of a user and the user withdraws the consent; JASSO's legitimate interests do not prevail over your own interests, rights, and freedoms.
- The right to require JASSO to restrict JASSO's processing of personal data under certain circumstances, including, but not limited to, the following circumstances:
when you challenge the accuracy of your personal data (only for the period JASSO needs to confirm its accuracy);
when JASSO no longer needs the personal data (excluding cases where JASSO needs the personal data for bringing, exercising or defending legal claims);
when you object to JASSO's processing of personal data based on legitimate interests (only for the period necessary to determine whether the legitimate interests of JASSO prevail over their own interests, rights and freedoms)
- The right to object to JASSO in relation to the processing of the user's personal data.
- The right to receive personal data in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable form and/or to require JASSO to transfer such personal data directly to the recipient to the extent technically feasible, when processing personal data is based on your consent and other grounds are not applicable. Please be aware that this right is only permitted for personal data provided by you to JASSO.
- The right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal data at any time. Please note, however, that JASSO may continue processing your personal data if it can rely on another legal basis.
You may exercise your rights by contacting JASSO as described in Section 14. If you believe that JASSO has infringed your rights, you may file a complaint with a data protection authority.
Some social networking services (SNS) provide "buttons" that when included on other websites will cause personal information such as user IDs and information about sites visited to be automatically transmitted to the SNS even if the button is not clicked.
For information regarding the privacy policies of social media services used by this site, please refer to the websites of individual social media service providers.
14. Contact Information
Student Exchange Department
Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)
Published: October 15, 2021